I thought I would share some information that I hope is helpful. I sanded the entire bus with 320 grit using a DA sander. I bought the sandpaper at Harbor Freight, trying to save a few bucks. The last batch I got from my paint supplier here in Abilene. The cost was a little over double for the same count, 100 on a roll. They are PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) discs. My experience was this. I should have used them from the beginning. They last over 5 times longer and don’t plug up. End result, better finish in much less time. The box shows holes in them, mine was a solid pad, therefore no holes. I guess they use the same picture on all of their sanding products.
Category Archives: Paint Prep
I was finally able to spray some paint yesterday. It’s been a long time coming, but worth all of the work. We also were able to find some front side windows off of a parted out Silver Eagle Model 10 to replace the original ones. These are so much nicer, tinted and tilt out from the bottom. It will add a new dimension to the appearance of the coach.
I hope to add a red metallic stripe centered in the blue today. It might not happen though, we had a severe storm last night with very high winds. I’m sure the paper covering the coach took a hit. We’ll see what it looks like at daylight.
Here are some pics to show the progress.
After several years with no trim, it finally happened. I found some 1/16″ x 1 1/2″ flat aluminum stock at the local Bible Hardware store. A lot of measuring and drilling but it really came out great. I have about 85′ to go to wrap the bus. The OEM trim I removed was so beat up it had to go.
I’ve been spending the last several weeks using a DA sander to sand both sides and doing some body work on the rear. It’s getting there. I’m taking my time to get the prep work done to my satisfaction. She sure looks all beat up in this shot.
I’m glad I have a place to do all of this work. Don’t have to worry about waking up the neighbors!
We are getting closer to finalize the main color along with some trim colors. I still have some sanding to do over the next few days, then I can start masking it off and preparing to spray it in sections. I will do the curved section of the roof on both sides first, then cover it up with plastic. I left about a 5′ section in the middle from the front cap to the rear cap that will get a fresh coat of roof coating after the bus is painted.
I have spent the last two weeks removing the elastomeric rubberized roof coating from the curved portion of the roof. I applied it back in 2004, so it’s been on for 10 years. I’ll say one thing about the product, it’s hard to remove! I’m leaving about a 6′ wide strip down the center, front to rear. I’ll re coat that after the bus is painted. I used a heat gun and a wide scraper to carefully peel it off. I did have to use my orbital sander with 60 grit on the rear cap roof. It wouldn’t scrape very easily for some reason. It also took about two or three previous layers of paint. I had thought about removing it down to the bare aluminum, but I might just sand it before I apply the sealer primer. The primer that is there is in pretty good shape. I do know there are several coats of paint/primer underneath.
This is going to be a long process getting it ready. I’ll have to use a D/A sander with 320 to scratch up the blue I put on 7 years ago. I have lots of time and it’s a good project to keep me busy for a while.